Sunday, December 7, 2008

Family and Friends Shared Memories


We invite you to share any memories or experiences you had with Bill on our blog. Please send us images to post with the details of where and when to memorialblog@gmail.com.

10 comments:

  1. Where is that picture taken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whiteface Mountain. We drove up I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a collection of pictures we had of Bill. Click on the link Link

    Tadd Stuart
    Casco Maine

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is still impossible to assimilate the loss of someone so special, dear, and real as Bill Eldridge. In his soft-spoken way, he shared so much with me, my family, many of my students, and so very many other people he knew and with whom he worked. He radiated a wisdom and humanity that we will never forget. He blessed our lives in countless ways.

    Among the many things Bill did, he worked on the numerous pianos my family needed to maintain over the years, both for practice and performance. He never disparaged the ones that were clunky or beaten up, but treated them as if they were priceless concert grands. That was typical of his attitude in general (as, I think, with ants that he found in our country kitchen and he did not want to kill). He was always amazingly skilled as a technician, but he was also much more than that. He was a cherished friend that we simply did not get to see often enough. My husband Jeffrey and I remember fondly so many chats we had while he tune d our piano here in New York (and my parents who adored him will surely contribute some special recollections about his trips up with Rachel to tune their music festival pianos). He would often tell us about some fascinating thing he was learning or doing, including a project of reading a biography about every single President of the United States. I think Bill possessed great intellectual brilliance --not that I am a judge of such things, but it certainly seemed that way! He was like the gentleman scholar of bygone days, or a renaissance man, always learning new things, always positive.

    Then there were the cycling, running, and mountain climbing adventures that had our jaws dropping with wonder. He simply radiated his appreciation for nature, for life, and and for all living creatures. One could not look at the countryside the same way after knowing someone as reverent of nature as Bill was. He would also share his love of music and film, and some passionate (but somehow always open-minded) views on politics. We always grew as people by what he shared.

    Bill was also a kind and generous listener when it came to our own petty carping about this or that --and really, so much seemed petty compared to the way he seemed to conduct his life! Sometimes our chatting prolonged Bill's time here greatly, but he was never impatient. He was always warm. After he was finished we would ask the the charge, and it was always an amount completely inadequate considering his expertise, not to mention the gift of his presence. There was really no way that "reimbursement" was even possible. As a friend he offered support and kindness that will never be matched or replaced. He was at just about every concert by members of my family, even ones far away or before he and Rachel had early mornings and long trips. Just this spring he did an "emergency" tuning at my apartment for a recording on short notice, not a convenient thing to schedule at all, but he saved the day.

    In my family, where it has seemed that crises have abounded over the past decade, Bill always offered warm and kind support. When my father was immobilized from polymyalgia rheumatica, Bill made the long trip over from Staten Island to bring him CDs of some music that would cheer him up. The music certainly did! I believe my parents thought of Bill as another son, in a way. He was a always calming presence. It is quite difficult to use the word "was" in fact... because there is something indelible about such a soul as his.

    Though I've never met anyone quite like Bill and most likely never will, I will cherish his memory as long as I live. Though his life was tragically shortened, when one thinks of all the goodness he shared, one must think he had a very blessed life. I am sorry I did not have the treasure of knowing him longer or better, but the gift of his example will inspire me to try harder and be better in whatever ways I can.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture of Bill taken during their visit to Maine August 29, 2008.

    Bill at the helm of the Marisa III

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are times when one wants to say so much but somehow lacks the ability to put it down in a way that makes sense to anyone. This is how I feel as I write this. Bill Eldridge was not just a good man ( which in this day and age of scandals and "me" behavior makes him exceptional for just this alone!), but someone I really enjoyed knowing and was proud to call a friend. When I married Rorianne and moved to NYC in 2002 I really felt grateful to have the chance to get to know Bill. Here was a man who lived life to the fullest- riding his bike everywhere, climbing and doing any number of outdoor things. This was not a man who sat around on a couch watching life go by. I always felt like I was on the trip as he described what his latest outing had been. Bill also was an avid reader, looking to learn more. I believe he was reading biographies of all the Presidents. Indeed, everytime he happened to be in the neighborhood of the Barnes and Noble at which I worked he would stop in to say hello- which usually became a 20 or 30 minute chat about anything and everything- family members, books, you name it. He could have raced in, found his book and raced back out, afterall, he was always on the run to the next client to tune their piano. That he took the time to listen to me babble on was nice- he had no need to do so and I am sure he did not benefit from whatever "pearls" I might have thrown his way!

    One can't forget his dedication to pianos and making them the best they could be. I found myself thinking this the other day when Rorianne was trying out some piano for an upcoming performance when I heard some sounds and whatnot that I thought were not up to standard that "Bill could take care of this!" This is how much he is still in our minds and hearts and I say that he will always be in our minds and hearts forever. Bill is missed but never forgotten.

    Jeffrey Williams

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first met Bill, over 15 years ago, thanks to my gradmother's 1911 Steinway that needed major rehab and loving care, both of which he expertly provided. His humanity and kindness were as finely tuned as his pitch-perfect ear! It was always a running joke that he never wanted to charge enough, and so I always had to haggled him upwards--hardly a typical scenario here in NYC! The folks at the Mary Manning Walsh Home and the Students at St Vincent Ferrer, whose pianos were given new life by Bill, are also hearing finer notes these days thanks to him. I have not yet been able to bring myself to have my piano tuned since this sad tragedy, and I will miss his visits here, but I know I owe it to his perfectionism and persistence, his striving for new heights, to find an understudy....I have no doubt Bill is now busy tuning for Mozart and Liszt, among the other immortals in the musical firmament. But here below, my condolences go out to his wife, Rachel, and son, Benjamin, before all others. Bill will be long remembered and cherished. Charles Scribner

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill's pitch-perfect ear as a tuner and his skill as a restorer of pianos were matched by his peerless humanity and kindness; it was always a joy to have him come and make music sound better. Now, having reached his final peak, he is, no doubt, assisting Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven entertain the heavenly hosts in perfect harmony! With deepest sympathy to Rachel and Benjamin, Charles Scribner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr.Eldridge was a wonderful man, he was friendly, engaging, and I saw him nearly every weekend during the last few summers sitting down enjoying the sun reading the paper, and working hard on his house, as well riding his bike.

    I deliever to Mr.Eldridge and his family their daily newspaper everyday for the past two years, and not a day goes by when I come to their household and drop off the paper that I think about him.

    I always looked forward to speaking to him whenever I saw him, he was always one of the most friendly people in the neighborhood, and I miss his warm smile to this day.

    It will never be the same not seeing him, but seeing that he has so many friends, touched so many people, and did so much in such a short time he will never be forgoteen.

    God Bless to his family, and everyone on this blog who has posted comments as they have all touched me.

    ReplyDelete